- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
The Hudson boys track and field team finished second with 79 points at the 14-team Nordonia Division I district meet May 19 at Boliantz Stadium in Macedonia.
Twinsburg won the competition with 87 points and Walsh Jesuit took third with 74.5 points.
Connor Sinko won a district title in the 1,600-meter race with a time of 4 minutes, 22.98 seconds.
The top four individuals in each event and top four relay teams advanced to the regional competition, which is scheduled to take place May 24 and 26 at Austintown-Fitch High School.
Blake Roberts also earned a district title with a first-place time of 9:17.78 in the 3,200. Roberts broke the stadium record (9:17.91) by Hunting Valley University's J.P. Trojan in 2016.
Teammate Adam Beucler finished second in the 3,200 in 9:19.15.
The Explorers' other win came from the 3,200 relay team of Roberts, Sinko, Lucas Lay and Beucler (8:03.87).
Dawson Wervey qualified for the regional competition with a second-place time of 49.92 seconds in the 400.
John Marcinkiewicz placed third in the shot put with a throw of 47 feet, 11.5 inches.
Also advancing was the 1,600 relay team of Lay, Nivash Jayaram, Wervey and Nick Zehnal. That team placed fourth in 3:27.98.
Other Hudson athletes who scored team points are as follows:
• 1,600: Jacob Russo, fifth, 4:33.76
• Pole vault: Nathan Kravitz, fifth, 12-4; and Noah Beseda, seventh, 12 feet
• 800 relay: Wervey, Greg Mailey, Zack Rickey and Jayaram, sixth, 1:33.57
• Discus: Samuel Bashian, sixth, 133-6
• 800: Jack Good, seventh, 2:01.69
• High jump: Wervey, seventh, 5-8
• Long jump: Mailey, seventh, 20-7.5