WRA aquatic teams
fall to Gilmour
The host Western Reserve Academy swimming and diving teams lost to Gates Mills Gilmour Academy Jan. 24.
The boys (2-7) lost a 100-70 decision and the girls (4-4) dropped a 125-60 setback.
The following Pioneers placed in the top three and the following Reserve relays won:
• 200 medley relay: Max Forsythe, Jonathan Depew, Sam Kuri and Zein Alali, first, 1 minute, 49.58 seconds
• 200 freestyle: Kuri, second, 2:02.03; and Alex Balli, third, 2:10.36
• 200 individual medley: Depew, first, 2:05.58
• 50 freestyle: Alali, second, 25.54; and Forsythe, third, 25.79
• 100 freestyle: Kuri, first, 55.62
• 500 freestyle: Colin Horgan, third, 6:21.66
• 100 backstroke: Forsythe, second, 1:05.01
• 100 breaststroke: Depew, first, 1:04.41
• 200 freestyle: Elizabeth Downing, first, 2:10.91
• 50 freestyle: Adjoa Tettey-Fio, second, 27.99
• Diving: Anne Carter, second, 189.3 points; and Meredith McCuskey, third, 156.65
• 100 butterfly: Nina Kahl, third, 1:18.38
• 100 freestyle: Downing, second, 59.1
• 100 backstroke: Katie Weinzierl, second, 1:07.8
• 100 breaststroke: Lissie Andersson, first, 1:19.13
WRA's junior varsity swimmers and divers are set to compete in the Canton JV Invitational Feb. 1 at C.T. Branin Natatorium. The invitational is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.
The varsity teams are set to conclude their seasons at the Easterns Championships Feb. 21 and 22 at LaSalle University in Philadelphia.
Reserve boys roll past Temple Christian
The Western Reserve Academy boys basketball team improved to 9-3 on the season after posting a convincing 58-41 victory over Temple Christian Jan. 24 in Mansfield.
The Pioneers had an 11-0 lead after one quarter. Peter Barba scored all 11 points.
Temple Christian eventually cut Reserve's lead to four, but WRA regrouped and took control again in the fourth quarter.
The Pioneers outscored Temple Christian 16-7 in the final eight minutes.
Barba finished with a game-high 16 points and 10 rebounds and Jabrill Smith added a career-high 13 points for the Pioneers.
WRA was scheduled to visit Akron Archbishop Hoban Jan. 28. Results were not available at press time.
The Pioneers are set to host Cleveland John Adams Jan. 31 at 6:30 p.m. They are scheduled to entertain Kiski (Pa.) Feb. 1 at 2:30 p.m.
Pioneers finish 2-0
The Western Reserve Academy wrestling team finished 2-0 at a tri-meet Jan. 23 at Warrensville Heights High School.
The Pioneers posted a 36-30 win over Warrensville and a 43-30 victory over Wickliffe.
Billy Walsh earned a pin in 1 minute, 49 seconds at 126 pounds for the Pioneers and teammate Colt Roe scored a pin in 3:38 at 170 against Warrensville.
Walsh earned a 13-2 major decision at 126 pounds and Nick Farrell scored a 2-0 win against Wickliffe.
Reserve is scheduled to host Canton Central Catholic Jan. 29 at 6 p.m. before heading to the Canton Central Catholic Invitational Feb. 1 at 10 a.m.
Hockey squad loses
The host Western Reserve Academy ice hockey team lost a 4-3 decision to Avon Jan. 24 at Kent State University Ice Arena.
Sam LaFontaine, Otto Bohan and Robbie Markwell scored one goal apiece for the Pioneers.
The Pioneers were scheduled to play Sewickley Academy Jan. 27 at the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center in Pittsburgh. Results were not available at press time.
They are set to visit North Canton Hoover Jan. 31 at Center Ice in Canton. Play is scheduled to begin at 5:50 p.m. Reserve is set to host Grafton Midview Feb. 1 at Kent State University Ice Arena. Play is scheduled to begin at 2:40 p.m.