The host Hudson girls basketball team earned a 51-44 victory over Northeast Ohio Conference rival Medina Jan. 19 at Ray "Buck" Hyser Gymnasium.
The Lady Explorers went on a 10-0 run at the end of the third quarter to take a 41-33 lead. Hudson never relinquished the lead the rest of the way.
Hannah Boesinger had a game-high 17 points despite fouling out. Kelly Gough and Allison Zullo added 16 and 10 points, respectively, for the Lady Explorers (13-2), who won their eighth straight game.
Toribeth Cullen led the Bees (11-4) with 11 points.
Hudson posted a 37-36 win in the junior varsity game to improve to 12-3. Maureen Madar led the Lady Explorers with 11 points.
Hudson scored a 27-23 victory in the freshman contest to improve to 10-0. Gillian Spivak led the Lady Explorers with 10 points.
SWIMMING AND DIVING CLUBS DEFEAT SOLON
The Hudson girls and boys swimming and diving teams improved to 5-0 in the Northeast Ohio Conference Valley Division after earning victories over Solon Jan. 19 on the road.
The girls posted a 204.5-110.5 win to improve to 8-0 and the boys scored a 174-138 victory to move to 7-1.
The following Hudson swimmers and divers placed in the top three and the following Hudson relay teams won:
• 200-meter medley relay: Stephanie Boyd, Laura Murphy, Connie Gan and Paige Kelly, first, 1 minute, 52.5 seconds
• 200 freestyle: Kelly, first, 1:59.03; Boyd, second, 1:59.77; and Marscha Hornis, third, 2:04.66
• 200 individual medley: Emily Arther, first, 2:17.96; Natalie Hill, second, 2:18.8; and Sarah Wolanske, third, 2:21.92
• 50 freestyle: Gan, first, 25.58; and Murphy, tied for second, 25.7
• 100 butterfly: Hill, first, 1:02.19
• 100 freestyle: Gan, first, 55.42; and Arther, third, 57.35
• 500 freestyle: Kelly, first, 5:19.47; and Wolanske, second, 5:24.03; and Hornis, third, 5:34.62
• 100 backstroke: Boyd, second, 1:02.15
• 100 breaststroke: Murphy, first, 1:09.24; and Gina Saxon, second, 1:11.93
• 400 freestyle relay: Arther, Jillian Saccogna, Hill and Boyd, first, 3:48.42
• 200 freestyle: Ryan Hutcheson, first, 1:48.74; and Cole Clampffer, third, 1:51.01
• 200 IM: Ross Palazzo, first, 1:56.9; and Peyton Brown, third, 2:04.89
• 50 freestyle: Ryan Johnson, second, 24.2; and Gabriel Casimiro, third, 24.22
• Diving: Alex Obendorf, first, 265.2 points
• 100 butterfly: Will Wiley, third, 1:01.05
• 100 freestyle: Hutcheson, second, 50.26; and Clampffer, third, 51.52
• 500 freestyle: Brown, second, 5:06.74; and Daniel Berkley, third, 5:20.26
• 200 freestyle relay: Palazzo, Johnson, Clampffer and Hutcheson, first, 1:31.59
• 100 backstroke: Doni Moffa, third, 58.78
• 100 breaststroke: Palazzo, first, 58.47; and Tyler Behm, third, 1:06.41
• 400 freestyle relay: Hutcheson, Clampffer, Brown and Palazzo, first, 3:23.55
ICE HOCKEY SQUAD DROPS TWO GAMES
The Hudson ice hockey team lost twice Jan. 19 at the Walsh Jesuit Tournament at Kent State University Ice Arena.
The Explorers (13-9-2) lost a 5-0 decision to Walsh Jesuit earlier in the day and then dropped a 4-0 decision to Shaker Heights. Walsh and Shaker are ranked sixth and fourth in the state, respectively.
Hudson goaltender Austin Ganley made 23 saves in the nets against Walsh. Explorers goaltender Grayson Kotseos made 39 saves against Shaker, which scored the last thee goals in the final 4 minutes, 57 seconds of the game.
Hudson is scheduled to play Sylvania Northview, which is ranked third in the state, Jan. 20 at 11 a.m.
For more, see the Jan. 23 edition of the Hudson Hub-Times.