The Hudson boys and girls swimming and diving teams competed at the Northeast Classic Jan. 12 at the University of Akron's Ocasek Natatorium and C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton.
"This is kind of a dry run for the end of the season as prelims are swum at Akron where we swim sectionals and finals swum at Canton where the state meet will be," Hudson head coach Matt Davis said. "We held our own with some of the best teams in the state and that is what we like to see at this time of the year.
"I was very pleased with how well our relays placed as all six placed in the top eight. Most of the teams were wearing fast suits and our kids where not, so it is even more impressive for our kids."
Alex Obendorf and Ross Palazzo each finished second in their events. Obendorf was the runner-up to Nordonia's Stephen Romanik in the diving. Romanik, who finished second to Obendorf at the 2012 state meet, scored 475.6 points. Obendorf finished with 473.5 points.
Palazzo took second in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 56.73 seconds.
Three relays also placed second. The boys 400 freestyle relay team of Ryan Hutcheson, Peyton Brown, Cole Clampffer and Palazzo finished with a time of 1:38.72. Palazzo, Ryan Johnson, Brown and Hutcheson led the boys 200 freestyle relay team to a clocking of 1:29.96.
Also taking second was the girls 400 freestyle relay team of Connie Gan, Emily Arther, Stephanie Boyd and Paige Kelly (3:39.88).
The following Hudson swimmers, divers and relay teams fared well:
• 50-yard freestyle: Jillian Saccogna, 16th, 25.56 seconds
• 100 freestyle: Saccogna, 14th, 56.04
• 200 freestyle: Gan, 10th, 1:58.65; Arther, 15th, 2:02.42; and Sarah Wolanske, 16th, 2:03.97
• 100 breaststroke: Laura Murphy, third, 1:06.97; and Gina Saxon, 15th, 1:11.03
• 100 butterfly: Gan, ninth, 59.1; and Kelly, 11th, 59.82
• 200 individual medley: Kelly, fourth, 2:13.04; and Boyd, 13th, 2:18.17
• 200 freestyle relay: Murphy, Arther, Saccogna and Kelly, fourth, 1:41.38
• 200 medley relay: Boyd, Murphy, Gan and Saccogna, fifth, 1:51.65
• Diving: Brittany Seibert, 23rd, 257.1
• 500 freestyle: Brown, 12th, 5:06.46
• 100 backstroke: Doni Moffa, ninth, 56.56; and Clampffer, 10th, 56.57
• 200 IM: Hutcheson, eighth, 2:02.55
• 400 freestyle relay: Hutcheson, Brown, Clampffer and Palazzo, fourth, 3:16.84
Both teams are scheduled to host Northeast Ohio Conference Valley Division rival Brunswick Jan. 18 at 6 p.m. They are set to visit Solon Jan. 19 at 4 p.m.
"We have some really big dual meets coming up with our big rivals the next two weeks with Solon and Strongsville," Davis said. "It should be a lot of fun. I like having these meets at the end of the year. It keeps the kids focused before we head to the tournament."