- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
The first cupola shown in last week's column is atop the building which houses Hershey's, Pat's Computer Rescue and Pure Barre on the south side of West Streetsboro Street (State Route 303). The building was built in 1988 and when Second National Bank moved there in 1993 they had the cupola designed and installed.
The more elaborate cupola is on the roof of the BFG Federal Credit Union at 5714 Darrow Road (Route 91), just across from Collection Volkswagen. It was carefully designed to blend in with the rest of Hudson's Western Reserve architecture.
It's worth a trip to the Credit Union, especially on a sunny day, to look up into the cupola from inside the building.
Now, a quick bit of history, perhaps of particular interest after a winter of having to dodge snow piles and icy spots as you shop.
It would have been much worse in 1841, when John B. Whedon built his own building and moved his general store further north on Main Street. (Originally his store was where Peachtree Southern Cooking is now, hence the former name Old Whedon Grill).
One record refers to the new location as "the far north" of North Main Street, and goes on to say that this location was considered a "good walk from the Green" where most businesses were, but since wooden sidewalks started being installed in 1837, it was negotiable, even for the ladies. Makes it sound blocks and blocks away, doesn't it? The building, now a three-unit apartment building, is on the northwest corner of Main Street and Owen Brown Street - right across Owen Brown from Main Street Cupcakes. Whedon's son Johnny took over the business, generally called a drug store, but according to Square Dealers (a wonderful history of Main Street buildings) "it carried a motley inventory."
An oral history of a local Hudson resident declares that John Whedon's drugstore was a "riot of disorder." There were no aisles, just a winding path through the merchandise. Johnny was the only one who knew where anything was, but he always had what you wanted.