The state of Ohio is proud to offer eligible veterans two homes and a domiciliary to satisfy their health concerns.
The Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky is a 427-bed nursing home facility. Two levels of care are offered: Standard care for those veterans in need of an immediate level of care and special care for veterans with Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.
The home opened in 1888 to care for veterans of the Civil War, and has been in continuous operation since. It is located near Lake Erie, in the heart of Ohio's family-friendly lakeshore attractions and recreational hub. Cecile Mahr is the nursing home administrator.
To be eligible for admission, an applicant must:
• Have been an Ohio resident for one year;
• Have served on active duty during a time of war or armed conflict or be the recipient of the Purple Heart, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy/Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, or Southwest Asia Service Medal;
• Have served their most recent discharge under honorable conditions;
• Be disabled by disease, wounds or otherwise and, by reason of such disability, incapable of earning a living;
• Individuals who are current drug and alcohol abusers, psychotics, or have active tuberculosis are not eligible for immediate admission;
The same admission requirements also apply to the Sandusky Domiciliary and the Georgetown Veterans Home.
For more information, potential applicants are urged to seek assistance with their county veterans service office. They can help in obtaining the required documents, setting up appointments and transportation. County veterans service office locations and phone numbers can be found in the Government pages of local phone books.
The Sandusky County Veterans Service Office is at 3416 Columbus Avenue, in Sandusky. The phone number is 419-625-2454 ext. 1231/1237. or email email@example.com
Eligible veterans who need medical care but are capable of living independently have the option of living in the "Dom" at the Ohio Veterans Home -- Sandusky. The "Dom," short for "Domiciliary," offers 293 beds, a dining facility, and necessary medical care to eligible veterans.
• • •
New Address: For those who email about your post and auxiliary activities, please continue to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. My new mailing address is 7065 West 130th St., Parma Heights, 44130-7805.