Heading Logo

Small furnace fire causes disruption at Seton Catholic School in Hudson

by Laura Freeman | Reporter Published: January 7, 2013 5:32 PM

Hudson -- Student at Seton Catholic School were back in their classrooms by 8:40 a.m. Jan. 7, after a furnace fire around 7 a.m. provided some excitement for the first day back to school after Christmas break.

Police and Fire departments responded to the fire alarm and put out a fire contained in one of two furnaces at the school, according to Pat Fritz, Seton Catholic School communications director.

The school buses and parents let students off at the front door near Stow Road instead of the back to stay out of the way of the safety forces, she said. Buses begin to arrive at 8 a.m. and school begins at 8:20 a.m. The 425 students in kindergarten through eighth grade along with staff waited in the Chapel until Chief Robert Carter declared the school safe for occupancy, Fritz said.

"It was not a good way to start our first day back to school but Hudson police and fire were there and assured us the building was safe for students," Fritz said.

Third- and fourth-graders in the four classrooms heated by the damaged furnace were sent to other classrooms, and the furnace is being repaired, Fritz said.

[Article continues below]

"There was no damage to the classrooms or hallways," Fritz said. "The fire was contained in the furnace."

Students were back in class and everything returned to normal after a 10 minute delay, Fritz said.

Email: lfreeman@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-541-9434

Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.