CINCINNATI (AP) -- Officials are keeping a suburban Cincinnati elementary school on lockdown for the final three weeks of class, citing daytime violence in the area.
The Cincinnati Enquirer (http://cin.ci/1n4Nw3X ) reports the unusual step restricts recess and extracurricular activities for 200 students at Lincoln Heights Elementary School, roughly 10 miles northeast of downtown.
Princeton City Schools Superintendent Gary Pack says the decision arose from safety concerns because, as he puts it, "bullets don't have eyes."
Two people were shot nearby this month. Pack says earlier in the school year a child was shot in a vehicle, and a bullet went through a window in an empty school bus at a stop and lodged near the driver's head.
The lockdown limits visitors through a secured school entrance. It lasts until classes end June 2.
Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer, http://www.enquirer.com